Sunday, November 30, 2008

Final Monsters Fucking

I learned something doing this oil and the last sex themed oil. The painting can look better not being over burdened with lines and squiggles. I love the lines and squiggles in many abstract paintings and in Basquiet paintings. But I'm no master of lines and squiggles. As this painting emerged I realized that the black background would not be filled with flashes of gold or other colors creating an aura around the figures. I really do like making figures with auras. But in this case auras would have interfered with the action and the presence of the figures. It would have been like distracting noise. There is this thin line that you can fall off of, added energy or distracting noise.

This painting was dry enough to photograph but still wet to touch. I would like very much to add a layer of varnish to make the black gleam and the colors pop. I've never varnished a painting before. It would be good to start experimenting with these little 5" x 7". My father puts retouch varnish on his which can be applied two weeks after the painting is dry. I have to call him and ask questions or do an internet search for information. I'd like to know what brand he uses.

Dad wanted to buy the little Mermaid and Sailor. I said he could buy it on the condition that he hangs it somewhere. I told him I don't want it put in a drawer. That is where he used to keep some drawings I gave him. Over time I've sneakily retreaved all work that had been given to him as gifts because he has no interest displaying any of them in his home. One oil painting my brother found discarded face down on a concrete basement floor. I figure that the Mermaid and Sailor is different because be is paying for it. Maybe having bought it, he will respect it.

No comments: